Wednesday, July 22, 2015


Guest Post by Justin Parkinson


On Friday, our last full day on our Jamaican adventure, after a morning at the Blue Hole, we set out onto the Caribbean Sea on a deep sea fishing trip. We booked a four hour adventure with Ocho Rios Deep Sea Fishing.


Personally, I could gladly have cut it from the itinerary, not being even vaguely interested in fishing. But I'm glad I didn't. The trip was my father-in-law’s birthday present, on his request, and I was on the boat with him, my brother and my stepson. There’s plenty of joy to be had in participating in someone else’s fun, and no better people to spend an afternoon with than family no matter what you are doing. Then, on a personal level, two very special things happened out there.



The second was that standing on the deck of our small fishing boat, the Justeina, rolling with the ocean swells, the wind whipping my hair, the salt spray drying tight across my face as the Caribbean paradise faded into the haze on the horizon, I found a deep happiness in my reconnection with the ocean. I grinned like a fool until my face ached. Then I grinned some more because when I tried to relax my smile, it just crept back again.


The first, and most wonderful experience of the entire vacation, was when my kid - my moody uncommunicative seventeen-year-old stepson - turned to me with dancing eyes and true gratitude in his voice and said, "This has been the best vacation ever, thank you." And then he hugged me! I'd like to tell you I have stepkids who adore me and show their affection often, but I don't. This was a rare, in fact unique, moment that I may just treasure forever. I felt like a king.


It wasn't just the excitement of deep sea fishing, though visions of 500-pound tuna were definitely racing in his head. It was also the exhilaration of the Blue Hole, and the prospect of a farewell bonfire that evening. But more than that, this vacation with both sets of grandparents, an uncle, and the four kids all together, was special. Jamaica was special.



From a travel perspective we had a rough day with the hook. Granddad managed to pull in a three-foot barracuda, but that was our only strike. Lucky Randy, our guide, kept busy with the lures and bait trying his hardest to entice a fish, to no avail. We got to the end of our four hour excursion, and were almost inside the harbour when Captain Speedy spotted some birds and took us back out on hopes there would be some hunters under the water where the birds were fishing. We got to see many flying fish skipping and skittering across the waves, but no strike. You can't hold the lack of fish a against the crew, but I probably wouldn't be jumping up and down suggesting you seek them out, either.


The crew came with a cooler well stocked with beer and water, though if you're seasoned drinker, you may want to bring extra. There was not enough there for us to get drunk on, even if we'd thought that was a wise idea on the rolling sea.

Oh, and here's a tip learned the hard way - make sure to get sunblock everywhere. You know, including the part of my knee that is hidden under your shorts when standing, but exposed when sitting! Ouch!

My Brown Paper Packages

11 comments :

  1. Oh my goodness, you are a much braver person than me. What a cool experience for your family. Can you eat barracuda?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so wonderful that this travel experience really bought your family together and that everyone felt the good vibes from it. Nothing makes a trip better and more memorable than that. Shame about the fish, but seems you had a good trip out anyway.
    Thanks for joining in #wednesdaywanderlust, hope to see you again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well this sounds nice! Jamaica is so beautiful! I love hearing about other people's travel experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dream is to take my other half - who loves fishing - on a trip like this. But I, being a wimp, will stay on the boat and guard the cocktails :O) Thanks so much for sharing. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello there…well the post that you have shared is very good and informative. I don’t have so much knowledge regarding fishing before reading this post but I do have now.

    Alaska Fishing Trips

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of thanks for this post.I think it is a very good post. It helps us many away. So many many thanks for this article.fishing tips

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog is full of entertainment and helpful information that can allure to anyone anytime. Continue posting! best budget spotting scope

    ReplyDelete
  8. Getting a physical regularly is a good idea anyway, but make sure that you tell your doctor the types of activities you plan on doing and get the green light on your health before you hit the great outdoors. Navigate to this website

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice article, thanks for the information. It's very complete information. I will bookmark for next reference. fishing time

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Pflueger Summit Low Profile Baitcasting Reel: The Summit Low Profile is both solid and exact while throwing. best baitcasting reel

    ReplyDelete