Thursday, October 25, 2012

I was visiting with a friend the other day, and mentioned an upcoming trip.

"Oh cool! Are you going to a conference?"

"No, just thought it would be fun."

She visibly shuddered. "Not me. That sounds awful," she said.

At first, I was sad for her that she does't have the joy a love of traveling brings. But clearly her life is full as it is, and we don't all need to have the same interests. But it got me thinking. What is it about tripping around the world that makes us travel buffs love it so darn much?

Challenges
Traveling is filled with challenges! Whether it is swallowing your fear and driving on the "wrong" side of the road or trying to find your hotel when all the signs are in a different language, or something smaller and less obvious, the challenges of traveling are always worth the time. Plus there are the challenges like getting everyone to the airport in one piece and entertaining six children on a 12 hour flight! You haven't lived until you've proven to yourself just what you are capable of.

Cultures
Experiencing new cultures is always an adventure! Sometimes it is about life lessons -- learning patience in a culture that doesn't place the same value on time you might, respecting differences, honoring traditions that seem strange -- and sometimes it is just about celebration! I love the sights, smells, sounds, and tastes that are different from my own. I enjoy learning a new way of doing things. I cherish the moments spent immersed in a new culture.

Food
New and interesting food is always high on my priority list. You won't find me hitting the fast food places or chain stores when I am out of town (except the occasional Burger King or Wendy's because they don't have them where I live!). Instead, I'll be scanning the menus left in hotel lobbies, hitting up the concierge for tips, and Googling for the best local places. Every area has a cuisine that is unique to it, and good or bad, the experience holds value for me.

Memories
What is life but a series of memories? It reminds me of those bumper stickers "He who dies with the most toys wins." When it comes down to it at the end of life, the memories you carry with you, and the memories you helped create for others, are what really matter.

Seeing it first hand
There is something words can't explain about experiencing a place first hand. For me, this is especially true of historic places. If you go to a place that holds significant history and just stand there, taking it in, there is this feeling that comes from inside you, this sense of all that has happened there before. It is absolutely irreplaceable.

Beauty
The world is beautiful. And the beauty varies so much from one place to the next, there is always something new to take your breath away. Whether it is a waterfall in New Zealand or Mayan Ruins in Mexico, the sunset over the water in California or the night sky in Seattle, the world is filled with things worth seeing and enjoying.


My children
I want all of the above to count for my children, too. I take great joy in sharing other places with my children, and helping them to gain a love of the world like my own. I want them to see the places they have read about in history books, and smell the foods they saw on TV. I want them to know their world.


Oh yeah, and it's addictive. Once you've started, it's hard to stop! You always want to be planning the next trip! If I could afford it, I would rarely be home for long...

0 comments :

Post a Comment